Sunday, August 23, 2009

Detached Parent Syndrome

We were perfectly happy with Ella who we adopted in 2006 at the age of 10 months. Ella, who will be 4 in a few months is the light of our lives, especially mine! She is everything I imagined in a little girl. She loves playing dress up and loves to shop. She loves letting me do her hair and big bows and helping me pick out her clothes. She talks more intelligently than most adults and her vocabulary is more advanced than most 10 year olds.

Even though we were most content with having one child considering Ella was the perfect child for us, we, OK I decided that I didn't want her to be an only child and that I wanted another little girl. I convinced my husband that we should reapply and wait the 3-4 years for another girl. However, once we applied and began the paperchasing, I decided (for us) that with so many children on the waiting child list that we should fill one out and stay on the non-special needs list too. My husband went along without question or reservation.

While we were working on our paperwork for our dossier, I noticed a little boy on the WC list that I talked to my husband about and he said it was OK to ask about his file. Even though we were really only wanting another girl, we didn't think a little boy would be the end of the world. I emailed CCAI that night and got a call back that another family had already accepted his file so I said thank you and forgot about it. We continued working on the dossier while I continued checking out websites including CCAI for kids on the special needs list. About two months went by and I got a phone call from the WC Dept. that the little boy we had inquired about was available again since the family changed their mind at the last minute. I was ecstatic and elated saying yes to her emailing his file to us. By the time I got home, the email was waiting for me. I just couldn't believe that this could possibly be our 2nd child, even though it was a boy and we wanted another girl. I called our pediatrician to find out about the extent of his special needs and got a pretty positive go ahead. Considering I am a special education teacher and have degrees in Cognitive Impairment and Learning Disabilities I didn't think developmental delays and a premature birth would be too hard to handle.

We accepted the referral for Aiden the very next day and by the end of that week, we were officially matched with him through the eyes of CCAI and CCAA. About a month after we were matched we began Skyping with Aiden via his foster family/foster group where he was staying. We thought it was the greatest thing because we were able to see and interact with our son so far away. We didn't have anything like this with Ella and would have loved to have even more pictures. Now, I know in my heart that Skyping with Aiden was the WORST decision. At least as much as we did........ once or twice a week for about 6 months.

Towards the end of the wait when we were just waiting for TA and CA, I began to feel like I was just watching and interacting with someone else's child and even told my husband that it didn't feel like we were talking and seeing our own child. Something then was amiss and I just didn't know it.

Once we got our TA, I didn't feel excited like I had for Ella's adoption. We already knew this child, we knew what he liked to eat and didn't, we knew what made him upset and happy, how little he talked, how little he was, and how behind developmentally he was as well. Every time we talked to Aiden on Skype, he only recognized Randy (Baba) .......... NEVER me. That always made me feel uneasy and it hurt.

Gotcha Day was nothing like the Gotcha Day with Ella. She was a baby and I could cuddle her and love on her. Aiden came to us crying and dirty. He was totally detached emotionally even from my husband and Ella whom he had adored for months. He cried a lot but that was expected since he was older.

I was not emotionally attached from day one. Aiden wanted nothing to do with me and the feeling was pretty much mutual. I didn't want to hold him, didn't feel the pull to nurture him when he cried. The first night, as I held him for two hours crying trying to put him to sleep, I cried telling my husband that we had made a mistake. The second night I told Randy that this what not the child that we'd waited for and that maybe we should not go through with it. My husband couldn't understand but he tried. He was smitten, he had a son and he was happy.

By the time we got home, I was completely detached. I even spoke about my feelings to another mom I had become close to. She said to just give it time and I knew she was right but my feelings were there and I couldn't ignore them. I continued to act normal in public and around people but once we got home it just got worse. I'm a teacher and I have the summer off so when we got home I had two more months before I had to go back to work. I was with both kids 24/7 seven days a week while my husband worked and I was stir crazy. Aiden screamed every time we were in the car and whined ALL the time. It was more work to take him out than it was worth so we stayed home and hung out in the pool.

Now, 6 weeks later, I still find myself wishing that Aiden would just go back where he came from. I feel that we have made a huge mistake adopting this little boy. I am not at the point yet where I can say, "I love you" and I am so tired of feeling this way. I am so tired of the whining and screaming. I fight everyday to care for him, feed him, bathe him, change his diaper, etc. This is not what I wanted in a second child. I thought I could handle a child with cognitive impairment but that was till we brought him home. I wasn't prepared to meet all of his needs, I expected to enjoy his homecoming the same way I did Ella's but I was overshadowed by a little boy who cannot communicate, extremely stubborn, and has needs that I am not willing to take care of at this point.

I have since read about other moms going through being detached from their children, both biological and adopted. Even though it helps to know that I am not alone and that there is hope, I still feel like jumping off a tall bridge somedays. It helps to know that in time, it will get better and I will grow to love this little boy just like I love and adore Ella. My biggest fear is that it will be too late and he won't want anything to do with me when I finally realize my love and adoration for this amazingly cute little boy that happens to be my son!

I am so sorry Aiden and I hope one day you will forgive me and realize that it is all mommy's fault and nothing you have done or ever did and that I do LOVE YOU and am so happy you are my little boy even though mommy doesn't know it yet!

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous8/23/2009

    Teresa, I don't know you but your post struck a cord with me. You may be suffering from PADS post adoption depression syndrome. There are a lot of people who go through the emotions that you are experiencing, you are not alone. I began suffering from this before our adoption was finalized. We also had a lot of contact with our daughter before travelling. I became extremely anxious and scared. I did attach to our daughter and she is wonderful, but I have had many of the same emotions that you described. We have been home for nine months, it is so much better than in the beginning. I love my little one very much. I still have tough days, but I can see that we will overcome this. I had issues with mourning my independence, but it has gotten better little by little. There is a yahoo group for people with PADS, you may want to check it out. Also, I think it would be wise to get counselling right away, your home study agency or even CCAI may be able to refer you to an adoption specialist. I can relate to the shame and embarassment and the GUILT! Try to act out love toward your son even if you don't feel it, the true feelings of love will come in time. You will get through this. My heart goes out to you! I would welcome contact if you need a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teresa,
    Big hugs to you first! I don't know how you are feeling, I can't say I had those feelings but I want to tell being pushed away at the beging of our adoption was hard for me also. But I kept on, I love MJ deep in my heart I knew that but she pushed me away until finaly is let me in! It took almost 3 months, 3 months! I was the hardest three months I thought I would ever go through. Losing her was worse. I am glad she let me in and we became a family. It is not easy, but you can do it. First I think you should call you SW for help. You need to talk to someone who knows how to help you both. I did and our SW was great. Thank you for posting this, attaching takes two and Moms and Dads need to know this! I will be praying for you and if you need to email me privately At aarkre@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teresa,

    You are very courageous for putting this out here. Adoptive parents to be need to know that it is not all sunshine and roses. You are not only helping yourself by writing this, but you are helping others.

    hugs...you will get there. Time is going to be your best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa~

    You are not a horrible mom! I really admire you for sharing your feelings. I hope no one condemns you for it. I also hope that sharing this will help you find someone else who has gone through the same. I had disappointment and depression surrounding my 2nd child. It wasn't the same as what you are describing here, but it similar that I wished things were different. I will offer you a cyber {{{HUG}}}! I hope both you and Aiden find peace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Teresa, I know where you are coming from and if you'd like someone to vent or just talk to email me at familysnotcomplete61764@yahoo.com
    Hang in there!!!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is an article Rainbow kids ran awhile ago about a fellow adoptive mom with many of the same feelings you have.

    http://tinyurl.com/lb7uzs

    Dawn B

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know what else to say but hang in there! It is worth every bit and the best advice I got was to fake it if you don't feel it at first. There were days that I didn't really know if I was doing the best for our son but with time I've fallen more and more in love with our little man. It is hard bringing a toddler into a happy home. Finding his place in your home and heart. Just take a deep breath and remember that you are not the first and can make it! You are a strong mama and it's all still very new. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok I feel like I am bombarding you with things today, I'm sorry I don't mean to. The previous article was not the one I thought Dawn had written, I'm still trying to find that one but that one is about a child progression to attachment to you, which is something we struggled with for years with our dd. Here are a few other things you might want to read from Rainbow kids. Again I'm sorry if I seem to be bombarding you. I can feel the pain in your post and one thing I want you to know over anything else is that you are NOT alone!! These feelings are more common than you'd think! HUGS!
    Dawn B

    http://tinyurl.com/klunnu
    Ah hah, THIS is the one Dawn wrote that I was looking for.
    http://tinyurl.com/ngkmt5

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi again Teresa, I swear this is the last time I will bother you :o) I got a name of someone who not only went through the same thing you are going through but has helped others as well. Her name is Michelle Bowe and you can contact her at

    m.bowe@insightbb.com she has already said she will be willing to talk to anyone else who is going through this so feel free to contact her.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.